13 October 2022
A builder has been fined after disturbing asbestos and removing it without adequate precautions at a pub in Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
Salisbury Magistrates’ Court heard how, on 8 September 2018, Robert Angell undertook work to remove asbestos-containing material while renovating the property.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Robert Angell was not licensed to carry out asbestos removal work and failed to take appropriate measures to prevent the spread of the asbestos waste while. As a consequence the work undertaken exposed employees and neighbouring areas to risks from asbestos.
Robert Angell of York Road, Calne, Wiltshire pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 16 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, together with regulations 5 (1) and 8(1) of the regulations. The individual was fined £300.00 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Ian Whittles said: “The dangers associated with asbestos, including licensed asbestos, are well-known and a wealth of advice and guidance is freely available from the HSE website.
“Individuals should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”
Notes to Editors: